Soldier Of Sound: Boy Sunny


Interview with Boy Sunny of Meteor Crates and The Mahakarya. Based in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Boy has found the perfect balance between playing music and running his own business. He has toured with his bands in both East and West Malaysia, as well as outside of the country.

What projects are you currently involved in?
I am the guitarist and songwriter for Meteor Crates and The Mahakarya. We've been gigging in several districts around Sabah before going on tour outside Malaysia again. I'm focusing on writing new songs for both Meteor Crates and The Mahakarya. Besides all this, I'm a cook in my cafe, MnR CafĂ©, in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.

How do you juggle between work and music?
Since I run my own cafe, it's easy for me to rock out whenever I want. *laughs* Seriously, doing my own business makes it easier for me to manage my time between music and daily life. I made a decision and left my job 5 years ago to run my own business and play music at the same time.


What's your inspiration behind Meteor Crates' music?
I started Meteor Crates with Ahjit in 2001 just for the fun of playing music. We were heavily influenced by legends such as Nirvana, Silverchair and Foo Fighters. After years of playing covers, we started to write our own songs. By then, we were influenced by local heroes such as Butterfingers and Disagree. My musical influences grew and I was inspired to write music of various genres.

How's the writing process like for Meteor Crates?
My musical ideas come to me when I play the acoustic guitar that my wife (then girlfriend) bought for my birthday 18 years ago. We were still studying at that time. It gives me many ideas whenever I play it. And the best part of it is, I get ideas for various genres on this acoustic guitar. I know it sounds weird but it's true. I've written more than 100 songs with it, out of which 30 have been recorded. When I get an idea for a song, I'll record it on my phone and share it with my band members and we'll work them out when we rehearse. Azrael, a former member of Meteor Crates, is a good songwriter who has helped me out with many songs. He is really good at arranging our songs.


Any plans for an EP or album in the near future?
Maybe next year, either with Meteor Crates or The Mahakarya.

What are your main musical influences?
Currently, my main influence is an Indonesian alternative rock band called Kotak. But I'll always be hooked to the music and bands of the '90s. You name it, I've heard them all. *laughs* That's why, in our EP "Legasi", you'll hear various genres and styles.

What was the first song that you learnt on guitar?
"All Apologies" by Nirvana and "Bedroom Window" by Nice Stupid Playground.


What are your weapons of choice?
I choose a wok, so I can cook good food in it. *laughs* I'm into archery, actually. In case the world turned upside down, I'll choose the bow and arrow as my weapons. On a peaceful day, I'll choose a pen and a guitar so I can write lyrics and compose songs. I'm a simple guy when it comes to performing. I usually use distortion from a heavy metal pedal, and with my guitar, I'm ready to rock the show.

If you had a chance to either perform or record with one of your idols, who would it be?
To record, I'll choose Kotak, of course. To perform, I want to perform alongside The Foo Fighters.

What's your message to young aspiring musicians?
Keep on writing and composing songs that inspire others. Write from your heart, compose with your soul and you will create beautiful music. For me, young musicians with their own original music is priceless, like a jewel. So keep on writing and rocking out while you can. Remember why you first learned to play an instrument. If you want to be a great musician, keep playing. Even at a tiny little gig. Go and rock out. Play more, and you will gain more. Experiences teach us more than a music book or a music school. Don't let others make decisions for you. Rock on.


Comments