Soldier Of Sound: Erick M. Mathew


Interview with Erick M. Mathew, powerful drummer of Spinning Toxic and Old Saturday Heroes! (OSH!). Erick is also the go-to session drummer for other bands such as The Endleaves and Departure.

What projects are you currently involved in?
I'm currently playing with Spinning Toxic and OSH! I also session for Departure. All on drums because that's all I know. *laughs*

How do you juggle between work and music?
I treat both work and music as my passion, so I make time for both. And tolerance. You will need a lot of this if you're in a band.


What's your inspiration behind the music of Spinning Toxic and OSH!?
For Spinning Toxic, it's mainly about life itself. A cliche answer, right? That's because there're a lot of stories in life. Not just for me, but for my band members as well. For OSH!, our music is mostly about love, for now, but we're also working on other subjects as well. Just so we don't sound like a love song boy band. No offence. *smiles*

How's the writing process like for Spinning Toxic and OSH!?
In Spinning Toxic, it depends a lot on our leader, Keydude, and guitarist, Edgar. Sometimes, I come up with the lyrics and some arrangements when I feel like it. But we all throw in our ideas and mix it up to make the best possible outcome. In OSH!, I just follow the ideas of our vocalist, Maxy and sape' player, Daniel. Their minds are something else. I'll chime in with some suggestion where I can.


Any plans for an EP or album?
For OSH!, yes. We are currently in the recording process.

What are your main musical influences?
When I was a kid, I used to listen to a lot of Kadazan music on the radio as well as oldies such as Spandau Ballet because my mum controlled the radio at home. Imagine waking up at 5 A.M. every day with the radio as your alarm. *laughs* During my teenage years, I listened to a lot of '90s alternative rock and nu-metal such as Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Silverchair, Muse and others. So, '90s alternative rock has a heavy influence on my playing.

What was the first song that you learnt on drums?
I don't really remember which was my first song, but I do remember playing Muse "Plug In Baby"  on the drums when I first joined my friends for a jam session.


What are your weapons of choice?
I bring my own snare to gigs as often as I can. It's a SonorForce steel snare. I love the sound it produces. Recently, I've been crazily into china crash cymbals. So I got one of my own and I like it very much. I'm still looking for the right sounds for my playing, so I might add a few more things later.

If you had a chance to either perform or record with one of your idols, who would it be?
Hmmm...maybe Muse or Papa Roach.


What's your message to young aspiring musicians?
Be yourself and try to have fun in the process. If you're in a band, cooperate, be completely honest, be humble and tolerate your band members. If your last gig was shit, don't mope around and be discouraged. Get yourself back up and practice with your band to improve.

Comments