Soldier Of Sound: David Harding

An interview with David Harding, bassist of the bands Kaya and Billie Blue & The Nowhere Men. A versatile and experienced musician, David locks down the low end no matter the style or groove. 


What projects are you currently involved in?
I'm currently involved mainly with my original band Kaya, as well as Billie Blue & The Nowhere Men. I'm also doing a side project with a rap rock ensemble called PJ12 with friends from the music scene. For all these projects, we're looking at releasing original music on radio. I've sessioned for Pris Xavier, Lohan (Cats In Love) and Darryl Thomas.

Who are your main musical influences?
Growing up, influenced by the CDs that used to be played in my home: The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Harry Belafonte, James Taylor, U2. Later on, my personal interests RHCP, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Jamiroquai. Individual bassists I admire are Louis Johnson, Larry Graham, Flea, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller. I love all types of musicians...but yeah, this is bass hour.


What are you currently listening to?
Everyday is random man, depends on what pops in my head...yesterday was The Clash, day before was The Wailers, last week Tame Impala. Ooooh but for local music, I'm loving Jagfuzzbeats' EP 'Rest Now'. It's really, really good. Highly recommended.

What are your weapons of choice?
I love my Squier 77' Vintage Modified Jazz bass, have had it for ten months. Really satisfying. Other weapons of choice I'd love to explore would be Musicman Stingray basses, or Modulus. I won't complain. (Hartke has awesome bass amps.)


Message for young musicians:
If you love music, do music. It's so possible now to make a living...live performance, teach music, session, writing about music, production line, etc. People are becoming more aware that music is essential to any event, place, bar, coffee house, busking, there's music everywhere. Find good contacts, networking is fucking essential. Hustle. MAKE SURE YOU GET PAID. Don't give in.

Endorsements:
Hartke can you hear me?! They don't endorse me...

Labels:
Independent

Comments