Soldier Of Sound: Bartholomew Marius


An interview with Bartholomew Marius, frontman of post-grunge outfit Beyond Our Imagined Lives (BOIL). Based in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, BOIL started out in the local indie scene in 1996 and they've built a steady following with their energetic live performances in Sabah, Sarawak and Semenanjung Malaysia. You can find their music on ReverbNation and YouTube.


What projects are you currently involved in?
I handle guitars and vocals for BOIL. I also play solo for small gigs occasionally.

How do you juggle between work and music? 
Work is my number one priority. If there are any worthwhile projects or gigs, I will work around my work schedule usually after office hours.

What's your inspiration behind BOIL's music? 
I write my lyrics based on everyday experiences, to express my feelings or frustrations at that particular moment. For example, the song "Inside" is about things that don't happen according to plan as well as the feelings of broken trust, dissatisfaction, and frustration.

How's the writing process like for BOIL?
I'm probably considered to be the main songwriter in BOIL, but it is a collaboration with the whole band. We usually start with the music, and the lyrics come later after the foundations are laid.


Any plans for another EP or album? 
Not at the moment.

What are your main musical influences?
Our main influence is of course Nirvana. Nirvana's music is simple yet catchy. The lyrics are easy to remember and fun to sing. Helps to de-stress by screaming your lungs out! We also like Smashing Pumpkins, Machine Head, Suicide Silence, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. We like to mix the classics with the new.

What was the first song that you learnt on guitar?
Hey Jude by The Beatles.


What are your weapons of choice?
I use Fender Jaguar and Eastwood guitars, Samick amps, and Boss pedals. I like the sound of the heavy metal distortion, chorus, flanger, and delay pedals. My pedal setup doesn't change much for our live shows because I have found the sound that I need.

If you had a chance to either perform or record with one of your idols, who would it be?
I would love a chance to play with Shawn Morgan of Seether.

What's your message to young aspiring musicians?
Passion is the key to creation and longevity in music. Never give up!!


Comments