Soldier Of Sound: Mohd Firdaus


What band/projects are you currently involved in?
I am the drummer for Glistening Redchair (GRC), the band that Gheff (vocalist) and I started last year. I also session here and there sometimes but mainly my focus is with GRC. The band is new but we have played music together since like 10 years ago when we were starting university. So even though the band is new, we're bringing our 10 years' of spirit, determination, hopes and dreams. That is why most of my focus is for GRC.

What/who are your main musical influences?
The reason I picked up the drumsticks was because I saw The Rev (Avenged Sevenfold) beating the shit out of his kit on MTV Total Request Live. He was playing Bat Country which I listen to even until today. But I'd say Dominic Howard (Muse) is one of my main drumming influences. We played too much Muse during university days.

I listen to a lot of different kinds of music since I was young, from Celine Dion to Metallica, Backstreet Boys to Sepultura, Rammstein to Siti Nurhaliza, Slam to freaking Love Me Butch. I'd say my musical influences range across genres. As long as it is good for my ears, it is good for me. And hopefully it will be good for other people too.


What are your weapons of choice?
I am now using Heartbeat Drumsticks, their Maple line to be exact. Actually I just love using maple wood drumsticks because I am a hard hitter and the weight of the stick works really well for me.

For the snare, I am using a cheap TAMA Imperial Star steel snare drum. GRC songs are quite heavy and I prefer the steel sound over wood sound for the band. I am planning to upgrade but I'm still researching for the best one to buy.

And for cymbals, I use Paiste cymbals mainly because of their thrashy sound, which works with the band in my opinion. I use their Medium Crash and Thin Crash, a Noisework Stack Cymbals, and my favourite is the PST5 China Cymbal. That one is so thrashy and it works a lot with our sound. The best thing is they are not that expensive and I got them during sales haha

I also have a TAMA Speedcobra 910 series 40th anniversary edition. I use Speedcobra mainly for the long board. My feet are big haha

What are you currently listening to?
Currently I'm listening a lot to Animals As Leaders (AAL), CHON, Intervals, and plini. Mainly AAL because of the madness of Matt Gartska. But like I said before I listen to a lot of songs. I even have K-Pop songs playing in my car sometimes. Now I'm listening to more stuffs by Luke Holland, Thomas Lang, Matt Gartska and many more. Damnnn. Matt Gartska! That dude is insane.


Message for young musicians:
Be disciplined and humble. your attitude will bring you where you want to go. because in order to be a good musician, you have to be a good human first.

One of my biggest (musical?) regret is that I never learned to play the drums properly. I missed a lot of the basics and now I am playing catch up with it. So my advice is, if you really want to play then learn about the instrument and the music that you want to do deeply before going into it. Learn the basics, it will take time but maannn it will reward you big time. And lastly, don't do drugs, don't do alcohol blah blah blah all that shit.

Endorsements:
None

Labels:
None


Comments