Soldier Of Sound: Cheryl Lee


What band/projects are you currently involved in?
I have two more gigs to play:
1. 4th November with Captn Trips and The Kid at The Key
2. 21st November with SID at Merdekarya

And then I'm done. I'm dropping the bass to manage bands instead. Right now, it's GLASS, Leon Sapphire and Rozella. I also help out with Juggernotes by Aryn with managing Captn Trips and Golden Mammoth.

What/who are your main musical influences?
Maybe they don't have an impact on my playing, but they have an impact on how I perceive music. Among the many are A Tribe Called Quest, Hiatus Kaiyote, Vulfpeck, Tower of Power. These 4 artistes have significantly changed my perception on how they view space and beats. The other groups that have helped me understand hooks and melodies are Daft Punk, Kevin Parker, Hall & Oates and David Axelrod.

What are your weapons of choice?
Mexican Fender Jazz 2011, Rotosounds Jazz Bass 77 strings and Nordstrand jazz pickups. Candy Apple Red with a matching headstock. I fell in love with this bass when I picked it up and bought it off a friend when it wasn't for sale. This bass is setup so that my fingers have the power to shape the tone because it's super sensitive and clear.


What are you currently listening to?
It's either music that helps with the acts I'm supervising or the furthest possible music from that for leisure.
For leisure, I'm now listen to Sore, Naif's new release 7 Bidadari, and Ramayana Soul. I look forward to checking out Pitahati's latest album too.

Message for young musicians:
I have lots to say, so I'll condense them into points to stop me from sounding like a nag:
  1. Consume more music. Listen better. Find the roots of your favourite artists. I learn a lot from my favourite songwriter's favourite songwriter.
  2. Creativity is a discipline. Ideas may drop from the sky sometimes, but preparation helps you receive and develop them better.
  3. Don't let drugs get in the way of work.
  4. Don't play free gigs, at least ask for a token.
  5. If you're going to make music, take it seriously and do your best. Don't give excuses like "I don't care about it anyway". If you don't, then don't compete with people who want to do this for a living.

Endorsements:
Still waiting on my Domino's endorsement

Labels:
None. But shoutout to +6 for emerging this year. I always value their input even though I don't heed a lot of it.


Comments