Soldier Of Sound: Shaneil Devaser


What band/projects are you currently involved in?
The Endleaves is currently comprised of Riz on weekend lead guitar, Jeremiah on weekday lead guitar (and sometimes weekend bass), Jasmine of They Forgot Jasmine on bass and Malcolm of Skies Are Red on drums. We try and aim to always play as a 4-piece (as I ain’t no lead guitarist) but sometimes we’ve gone three piece e.g. Cherry Rock just for the fun of it. Whatever the variation, we will always play 8 core tunes from our releases over the years.. and then top it up with some extra tunes that suits the flavour of the lineup. Unconventional I know, but due to numerous lineup changes since we kicked off in 2012 we’ve had to adapt with the times, so we’re always evolving, like the Zerg. Haha. Oh and we play punk blues rock because PBR me ASAP!

Open Mic Malaysia on the other hand is like a CSR project of sorts to provide avenues for aspiring musos to grind their teeth, or for veterans to try out brand new stuff before hitting the big stages, but generally it’s just a fun way to enjoy the weekdays with like-minded musicians old and new. Besides me, there’s Ian Tai of The Propositions who helps out with our Klang Valley nights, Boy Sunny of Meteor Crates who runs our Sabah nights and Jaime Gunter of Volatile who runs our Penang nights. We currently run (I think) 18-20 events per month across the country, and we’re looking to expand into creating band open mic nights as well! Our longest running night in the Klang Valley is at Frontera on Tuesdays, and I’m sorta in charge of hosting that night…so jom!

What/who are your main musical influences?
Silverchair man. Of late there’s a lot of Queens Of The Stone Age and Foo Fighters but it’s really whatever turns up on my Spotify Discover! Spotify Discover is way cool. You can subscribe to mine here, and listen to what I’m listening whenever you want!


What are your weapons of choice?
I like handguns but sawed off shotguns are my go to!

What are you currently listening to?
The new Queens Of The Stone Age album man. It’s dope. Oh but the song that’s been stuck in my head is Dirty Water off the latest Foo Fighters record. It’s haunting.


Message for young musicians:
The fastest way for you to get better at what you do is practice. Practice at home is important, but practising in-front of an audience is even more so, so sign up for an open mic near you, become a regular, and before you know it, you’ll be touring the world alongside friends who were once your heroes.

Endorsements:
Nada. But I would like to be endorsed by Fender for guitars, Ernie Ball for strings, Dunlop for picks, Vox for amps, Shure for mikes, and Converse for shoes. Don’t need no clothes endorsement. I’m a bundle-shop kinda guy. That’s a lie. I just wait for birthdays and Christmases for new clothes ha ha

Labels:
I’ve often been labeled an alcoholic?


Comments