Soldier Of Sound: Raul Dhillon


What band/projects are you currently involved in?
I currently play bass with Volatile (Indie band) and also The Zee Ng Project (Indie band), and drums for Vintage Rising (cover band)

What/who are your main musical influences?
This is a tough question. When I first started getting into music, I was crazy about old school heavy metal bands, Black Sabbath, Saxon, Iron Maiden and such. Soon after I was getting into various different styles of music. But my longest lasting crazes have been Justin Chancellor of Tool, Geddy Lee of Rush, Mike Porcaro of Toto. All time favourite drummer is definitely Simon Phillips. Steve Gadd and Stewart Copeland are up there too.


What are your weapons of choice?
I'm a total sucker for old school instruments, call it psychological or what you may, but well played-in instruments have so much soul! My favourite,is my '86 Ibanez J bass, he is a hefty sod, but can be as smooth as well churned butter, or have the grunt and steam of an angry bull when paired with a good tube overdrive!  I use my '84 Fender P-lyte Bass (with active EMG pickups and electronics) on occasion as well, when i want to run about and make an ass of myself, haha! As for my pedals, I run my basses through a tuner, a Darkglass Supersymmetry analogue compressor, an MXR EQ, an MXR bass D.I.+, and a good ol’ Sansamp . When it comes to drums, I always reach for my Sonor Birch kit, Gretsch Taylor Hawkins signature snare drum, and my Tama Speedcobras.

What are you currently listening to?
I'm currently listening to Prophets of Rage. Been psyched for the new album ever since they announced that they would make one after Trump won. I finally got “Brothers in Arms” by Dire Straits, Rick James and “Rumours” by Fleetwood Mac on Vinyl record, so Ive been binging on those too. Also, for those interested, do check out “The Fusion Syndicate” its pretty cool stuff!


Message for young musicians:
I'd like to think that I'm no where near old enough to be saying anything to young musicians, hah! But an important message that I do preach often, is this, remember the power and responsibility that comes with music. Music is powerful and should not be taken lightly, it resonates with your audience, and will invoke feelings and thoughts. Keep in mind that with this auditory storytelling comes the responsibility of staying true to your music, yourself and your audience. When one plays music, one should be naked and vulnerable, this takes trust in oneself and ones place in the world. By unlatching all pretensions and ego from yourself, your music will flow through you without perversion. Remember that when we play music, we are but vessels of wine(or your favourite drink) to be served to our listeners.

Also, practice practice practice!

Endorsements:
My Mum and Dad, haha!

Labels:
Independent


Comments

Post a Comment