Soldier Of Sound: Muhammad Firdaus



What band/projects are you currently involved in?
Currently, I play for three bands. You might've heard of the energetic, sugar-high pop punk band called The MASH. (If you haven't, well go check it out now @wearethemash!!) We have our merch and EP all up for sale and you can find our songs on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud etc. If you love listening to the likes of Greenday, Bunkface, Blink182, then I'm pretty sure The MASH could be your next source of eargasmic experience.

I also play for a local J-Rock band called PHNX where we mainly play rock songs in a totally different language that is definitely foreign to me personally (Japanese; cause I guess Bahasa Malaysia and English are way too mainstream now) and we do covers from your favourite Anime movies/series, or even songs from your deepest cringiest childhood days (also, go check that one out @phnxtheband!!).

For funzies, I also play in a band along with my college mates called The KRAVE (definitely its @notthekrave). We tried to keep it going, but it's mostly a once-in-a-blue-moon kinda shows and jam sessions.

And not to forget, I was also featured in Lux Spectra's debut EP. Track no. 5 called See You Around.


What/who are your main musical influences?
If in terms of influences, you can say that it could be categorised into two: guitar playing style and stage presence:

Guitar playing style: Matt Bellamy had always been my guitar hero since like, ever! You could say he's my Muse. His heavy, yet catchy riffings, whammy/pitch-shifting solos, his tremolo picking style, his (not sure if this is even a word) "ambiency" delay guitar tones and his body movement while playing the guitar is what I try to deliver as a representation of myself in my music, on and off stage. At the same time, I tend to add those little bluesy licks in my music/solos since that generic minor pentatonic scale (the one where you can find on youtube when you look up "Macam mana nak solo guitar tutorial"), is the only guitar scale I know best.

Stage Presence: Taka of One Ok Rock and Freddie Mercury from Queen had always been my choice of reference. Funny combo right? But listen to this: Taka's energetic movement, and his swagity attitude as he rocks on stage is, to me, the best representation I can bring to represent myself. Young, energetic, motivational is what I opt to deliver to the crowd, ensuring that they would feel young, energetic and motivational by the end of my band's set. Freddie on the other hand, his technique on stage presence, and crowd interaction is also something that I tend to use as a reference as well. On stage, I'll always try my best to interact and give off that diva-ish vibe as I face the crowd and play my set. It's something from him that I'll always try to achieve. Ya know? The fist-in-air-ish vibe? The one that makes you wanna just break free and ride your bicycle.


What are your weapons of choice?
I am not much of gadget-savvy kinda guy guitarist. My rig setup is fairly simple. I use a 2012 Fender Strat electric guitar and a BOSS ME-50 Pedal. Aaaaaaaand that is pretty much it. HAHA!

What are you currently listening to?
Baby Shark song definitely. HAHA! Also, I've been listening, back and forth to a lot of soul/blues music. Alabama Shakes, The Black Keys, Blakroc, Kaleo and the likes of that. At the same time, I've found much interest on this band called Beirut. Go and try give it a listen to one of their song called Nantes! Go now!!

Message for young musicians:
I gotta admit, I myself have a long way to go in music, personally and even in my bands. (I'm not that old okay!?) However, if I were to give a message or a piece of advise, here it is:
Rocking up on stage, the biggest reward to me is when I see the crowd's happy faces as they sing along with you. Remember, you are THE rockstar. Rock the crowd's brain out man! And then, when being in a band, for sure one there will come a time that you will fight amongst each other. Come on, let's be real now. My piece of advice is never keep it in, let them know what you think, but at the same time, put it nicely. Sit together in one band and talk it out the best way possible. Remember, being in one band means moving as one unit. Everybody in the band needs to be on the same page.
And also, you gotta admit the fact that you can't please everyone. If faced with haters, keep calm and never stop your progress. Be like a duck. Steady on the surface, but paddle like a bitch underneath!!
Finally, in whatever you do, remember to always stay humble and to always give 200% effort.


Endorsements: Unendorsed

Labels: Nada


Comments