Soldier Of Sound: Madan Theerthapathy

What band/projects are you currently involved in?
Currently, I’ve only been working on my solo project, Psytrus. I’ve just released a full length album in June, which I had been sitting on for 8 years. It feels great to finally be able to share it with everyone. One advantage I see, in being a solo artist or a singer/songwriter is that you’re never limited to a certain style or genre. I believe music is a catalyst to make people feel emotions. And as a songwriter, each song is a different mood, a different feeling and evokes different emotions. Moving forward, I have plans to release a brand new single late this year. It’s gonna be a rather big departure from anything I’ve released before, much bolder and darker, and I’m quite excited about that.




What/who are your main musical influences?
I grew up listening to The Beatles, lived through 90’s pop rock on the radio and discovered punk rock and grunge in my early teens. I have an eclectic taste in the music I listen to, which is reflected in the music I make. Everything from the psychedelic 60s to the feel-good 90s and the kitchen sink. I believe that no two people hear music the same way. We each pick up on different details. Different things speak to us. And for that reason, no matter what your influences are, what you produce, (unless its forced to spend a certain way), is always going to sound like you.


What are your weapons of choice?
With my current solo setup, I play a Norman B18 acoustic guitar with LR Baggs pickups through a Marshall AS50D acoustic amp. I prefer this setup over going direct to PA as I have better control over my level and tone, and the amp add a certain grit to the overall sound which I love. The Marshall also has a really nice notch filter that eliminates feedback, a common problem with acoustic guitars on stage. For vocals, I sing through a Shure Super 55, which looks fantastic, and ever so gently distorts the signal, creating a warm, lush tone.

What are you currently listening to?
Fazz’s brand new album, Vol.2. produced by Adam Lewis Yates at Pulse Soundworks. Unfortunately it’s a Japan exclusive CD only release, so we’ll have to wait a while till the digital release. If I only had one word to describe the album, I’d say EPIC!


Message for young musicians:
Nobody owes you anything. Be realistic about your goals and do everything you can to get there. Not all musicians are equal. You could be a session musician, a singer/songwriter, a producer/DJ, a pop artist, or an understated folk singer. There is no right or wrong answer, but it makes a world of difference to know and decide which path you want to take. And when you do, give it your all. Always remember to perform, entertain, even when there’s only one person in the crowd. You’ve only as good as your last show. And most importantly, nobody owes you anything.

Endorsements:
None. I’m very particular about the gear I chose to use. But I’d be more than happy to try out new gear, perhaps do a review and see we can go from there.

Labels:
Pulse Soundworks

Psytrus on Spotify

Photo by: Brigitte Rozario


Comments